In her dynamic career, writer and communications consultant Lisa Martin has been a leading change maker and entrepreneur in marketing, public affairs, and philanthropy development. Her articles on travel, culture, lifestyle and business have appeared in Boston Magazine, Antiques & Fine Arts, Another Day in Paradise, Design Times, and numerous trade publications and newspapers. Features about Lisa Martin have appeared in The Boston Globe, The Kitsap Sun (Seattle), Maine in Print, The Rotarian, Wellesley and Simon’s Rock magazines, and in various U.S. and Mexico media. An international change visionary, Lisa has been inspired by global visionary Lynne Twist, co-founder of the Pachamama Alliance, author of The Soul of Money, and founder of The Soul of Money Institute. She’s studied writing and break-through creativity with Natalie Goldberg, award-winning author Wendy Call (No Word for Welcome; co-editor of Telling Trues Stories: a non-fiction writers’ guide from the Neiman Foundation at Harvard University); Pam Houston, and Lidia Yuknavitch, among others.
Lisa Martin is also the founder and former executive director of The Netza Project, a U.S./Mexico non-profit social change organization dedicated to creating equal access to education and economic advancement for all people, including migrant and indigenous Aztec children and their families. The Netza Project helped build a now locally sustainable six-language public primary school for over 500 indigenous and at-risk children in Zihuatanejo, Mexico. Lisa’s award-winning work collaborating with local and international partners fostered vital advocacy, literacy, scholarship, and economic empowerment initiatives in the region, including a pilot women’s microfinance program. Her fundraising skills have generated hundreds of thousands of dollars in international aid.
As principal of Martin & Company, Lisa is an accomplished consultant to businesses and non-profits in many markets, a skilled copy writer, and an inspiring public speaker. She has traveled extensively – from Paris to Peru – to engage people at all levels in partnership solutions and collective action for positive change in both commercial and non-profit ventures. Martin & Company has designed and launched many innovative corporate identity, public relations, strategic branding, and charitable giving programs. Lisa has achieved significant press recognition for clients in major media including The Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe, Better Homes & Gardens, on TV news, radio programs, in regional newspaper and trade media, and more.
An Award-Winning Business Leader & Humanitarian
Lisa Martin was named 2012 Simon’s Rock Early College Alumna of the Year for her achievements in advancing global literacy, and Woman of the Year in the greater Boston region in recognition of her international charitable initiatives and business leadership. She is the recipient of a Rotary International District Service Award for outstanding commitment to world peace and understanding, and she is a Paul Harris Fellow. In 2002, she was awarded a Wellesley College Alumni Stevens International Fellowship to live, work, and write in Mexico, collecting early material for her book-in-progress (and Goddard MFA creative writing thesis project) FROM A TO ZIH: Two Women, Two Cultures, One Dream. Lisa has also received numerous commendations from the City of Zihuatanejo and State of Guerrero, Mexico, for her commitment to advancing education, sustainable community development, and social justice.
Select Awards & Achievements
- Simon's Rock Early College Alumni Leadership Council and 50th Anniversary Planning - 2016
- 2012 Simon’s Rock Early College Outstanding Alumna of the Year for achievements in advancing global literacy and access to education.
- Book in progress, FROM A TO ZIH: Two Women. Two Cultures. One Dream.
- Ashoka Global Fellow nominee for innovation in social entrepreneurism.
- Change Activist in Residence, Bainbridge Graduate Institute Sustainable MBA Program-2010
- North Shore Business Woman of the Year - 2003
- Rotary International District Service Award for World Peace & Understanding
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International’s highest honor
- Recipient, Wellesley College Alumni Stevens International Travel Fellowship 2002-2003
- Recognitions for advancing literacy, City of Zihuatanejo & State of Guerrero, Mexico
- Distinguished Service Award from Director of Indigenous Education, Guerrero, Mexico
- Inspirational speaker, business strategist, writing coach, and workshop leader
- Active in Wellesley College and Simon’s Rock Early College Alumni Associations
Education & Professional Development
- Wellesley College — B.A. English, cum laude, graduated at age 20
- Simon’s Rock Early College, enrolled at age 15
- Harvard University — Marketing & Public Relations graduate courses
- 'Fundraising from The Heart’ & ‘Soul of Money’ development with Lynne Twist
- Advocate of The Raising More Money® development model
- On-going training in writing and innovative private-public partnership education and sustainable business models
ENGAGE LISA FOR TRANSFORMATIONAL BUSINESS, WRITING & NON-PROFIT SUCCESS STRATEGIES.